KITCHARI RECIPEJan 13, 2021
Kitchari means mixture, usually of two grains.
This is one kitchari recipe that is particularly nourishing and very easy to digest, giving your gut time to heal.
- Vegetables such as zucchini, asparagus, sweet potato
- If you know you Dosha type
For Vata or Kapha conditions: add a pinch of ginger powder
- For Pitta: leave out the mustard seeds
- 1/2 cup basmati rice
- 1 cup mung dal (split yellow)
- 6 cups (approx.) water
I don't add spices until I'm ready to eat. That way I can change up the spices.
- 1/2 to 1 inch ginger root, chopped or grated
- A bit of mineral salt (1/4 tsp. or so)
- 2 tsp. ghee
- 1/2 tsp. coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp. cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp. whole cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp. mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- A handful of fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 and 1/2 cups assorted vegetables (optional)
Carefully pick over rice and dal to remove any stones. Wash each separately in at least 2 changes of water. Add the 6 cups of water to the rice and dal and cook covered until it becomes soft about 20 minutes.
While that is cooking, prepare any vegetables that suit your constitution. Cut them into smallish pieces. Add the vegetables to the cooked rice and dal mixture and cook 10 minutes longer.
In a separate saucepan, sauté the seeds in the ghee until they pop. Then add the other spices. Stir together to release the flavors. Stir the sautéed spices into the cooked dal, rice, and vegetable mixture. Add the mineral salt and chopped fresh cilantro and serve.
Instant Pot / Pressure Cooker
- Cook 15 - high
- Depressurized for at least 3 - 5 minutes
- Then you can least pressure in you wish.